Friday, May 07, 2010

Who Stole My Last Piece of Chicken?

Where: Auntie April's Chicken 'n' Waffles

When: May 7, 2010
Who: Tiff, Louise, Sheryl, Jeff, Nick, Reeg
What: Fried Chicken & Waffles
How Much: $14 [but we over ordered on the dessert]

As with Nick’s typical Foodie selections, restaurant goers risk life and limb to venture into the less-frequented parts of town [how’s that for a euphemism?]. Yesterday’s choice was no different, since we dined on 3rd and Newcomb, home of Lil Fly’s legendary Playaz Club in the heart of HP. Despite the historical significance of the geographic location, the location was pretty no frills. I walked in and it felt like a sauna, as they apparently didn’t realize you need ventilation when your primary item is FRIED CHICKEN. Also it was ominous as we were the only diner’s there. Was this a popular drive-by spot? Did Sheryl really see some guy urinating out the window? Were these two guys really pushing a car where I parked on Oakdale Ave? Despite these little hiccups, we sauntered the longest one block walk ever to the destination. After finally settling in, we browsed the menu and ordered the following:

- Fried Chicken, which was PIPING HOT. It had a nice crunch too it, but wasn’t overly battered. I had the darkness, and thoroughly enjoyed it even without gravy.
- Waffles, which were solid. Whomever thought about this pairing should get a Cupid award.
- Cornbead, ehhh…it was pretty underwhelming due to the dryness and blandness. I think I’ve had too much jalapeno cornbread from Farmer Browns prior.
- Oxtail, and whenever a menu has oxtail, I often try to order it. Wasn’t as tender as Hard Knox’s or my mom’s Kare Kare, but it was decent. The sauce was good but I could’ve gone with their version of white rice. And I didn’t even want to touch that elbow pasta doused in mayo they called macaroni salad that came with it. Who ordered that?
- Sides: Cinnamon with dose of Yams, [funky on the mic like an old batch of] Collard Greens, and Mac-n-Cheese, which was the best out of the 3 but they sold out like Air Yeezy’s.
- Desserts: Peach Cobbler, as this was warm and gooey, just as I like it! [I’m talking about the dessert here] They also had some Red Velvet Cake, but I hold RVCs up against my Sister-in-Law’s and they usually aren’t up to par.

All in all, we received an abundance of food for a bargain.  Maybe I'm just comparing it to my experiences at Roscoe's, but April's chicken tasted a lot better and I didn't have food poisoning after eating.  I guess their rent mustn't be that high.  I definitely would go back, but only in broad daylight haha.  True foodie-goers will venture anywhere regardless of locale, or maybe we might just be a little off-kilter.
.