Monday, May 05, 2008

A Double Feature

Okay I’ma try this new scale for my 60 secs movie reviews:

5 – Opening weekend worthy
4 – Matinee showing worthy
3 – Wait for the DVD
2 – Wait til it randomly shows on TV
1 – Its not even acceptable to watch it on a plane ride


Juno

So after listening to all the hype, G and I decided to watch this movie. While I appreciate its offbeat and somewhat quirky plot, I felt that it lacked a certain something. Then again I can’t exactly relate to a pregnant 16 year old, so maybe it didn’t resonate with me? I just know that I would be mad anxious for impending parenthood at my current age, so I would be pooping cinder blocks if I was in their age group. And I’m imagining that’s definitely how G would act if we were put in that situation haha. But besides the case, I thought for such a fast paced flick, the characters were developed well and filmmakers were able to convey their message rather swiftly.

I’d gave it 3.5 out of 5


Forgetting Sarah Marshall

I don’t want to hype it up, but this was the funniest movie I’ve seen since Superbad. And Mila Kunis jumped from “honorable mention” to Top 10 after this performance. I mean she was like George Mason in 2006. Malculay Culkin is that dude. In this movie, she was like the Hawaiian version of a Kristin Kreuk/Rachel Bilson hybrid. Jason Segel’s character rebounded here like Dennis Rodman. Also the title character isn’t too shabby either. Ironically, these two ladies were on recent Complex covers, so someone there is doing something right. Anyway ladies - don’t break your man’s heart since payback kinda sucks. And it would behoove me to mention that the secondary characters take this flick to another level. Just go out and watch it, even by yourself if you have to. I’ma definitely maybe buy the DVD when it comes out, at least when it drops to under $10.

I’d give it 4.5 out of 5
.