Thursday, February 03, 2005

Is it too late to have my 2004 Music Awards? Man another disappointing year in hip-hop. 2K4 may have been the first year where I've listened to other genres more than rap muzik. Not because I've changed, but I've been so disenchanted with the state of hip-hop (*nose pointing to sky*). There were a few good releases though. So without further adobo, here are my grammys:

Hip-Hop Album of the Year-Major Label: Nas - Streets Disciple. Only if he condensed both discs into one solid disc, it would've been classic. Runner-up: The Roots - Tipping Point.

Hip-Hop Album of the Year-Independant: The Sound Providers - An Evening with the SPs. Figures that my favorite indy album was half instrumental. These cats make the hottest beats, which are very musical and harmonic. Nimz would agree with me. Runner-up: Foreign Exchange - Well-Connected.

Hip-Hop Single of the Year-Major Label: Slum Village feat John Legend & Kanye - Selfish. Wow this even surprises me. But its a hot song nonetheless. Runner-up: (tie) Jadakiss - Why/Fablous - Breathe.

Hip-Hop Single of the Year-Independant (not like you've heard these, but I'ma list them anyway): Royce da 5'9 - Hip-Hop (might have been '03 though?). Runner up: Supastition - The Williams.

Alternative Album of the Year: The Killers - Hot Fuss. Yes, I was listening to this pre-OC and pre-SNL, just ask Taft. Mr. Brightside, Jenny was a Friend of Mine, Somebody told Me, etc are all jams.

Alternative Single of the Year: Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams. My picks for these categories might be too MTV-friendly for some, but I can't be snooty about this music too. Runner-up: Sugarcult - Memory.

R&B Album of the Year: John Legend - Get Lifted. This barely made it into 2004 with such a late release. He's like the male Alicia Keys, and indeed, Kanye appears twice on my "Best of" list. How funny. (Shouts to Jefe who got me this. Well not really, but he did but me the Smallville soundtrack, which I already had, which was parlayed into this.)

R&B Song of the Year: Ursher featuring Luda and Lil Jon - Yeah! Now you know I couldn't leave A-town's finest off the list yeah? How ironic is this equation: (Ursher|Pop)+(Luda|Rap)+(Lil Jon|Wack) = Hit of the year?

Alt.rap Song of the Year: Shawn Carter & LP - Encore/Numb. While the rest of the EP was a tad disappointing, this crown jewel was worth it.

Guilty Pleasure Song of the Year: Ashlee Simpson - Pieces of Me. And yes I'm still listening to it.

Disappointment of the Year: Mos Def - The New Danger. He was going for some Rap/Rock hybrid, but it didn't work. Maybe I'll give it another spin.

Who I need to listen to more in 2005: Jack Johnson, Raphael Saadiq, Unspoken Heard, Madlib, and my older early 90s hip-hop. Plus I'm open to whatever. Suggestions yall?