Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What's Yo Destiny?

I ain't play the hand I was dealt, I changed my cards
I prayed to the skies and I changed my stars

- “Last Call” by Man-Crush #2

At first I used to think that whatever happens is based on fate. Like you go through certain phases and meet certain people for particular reasons and fulfillments. If you start sailing, your destination is supposed to be where you end up. But most of us are in control of our own destiny. We have to steer our own ship rather than let it take its course. Like was Michael Jordan’s destiny to become the greatest? Nope – he worked his ass off to get to that point. Same with Warren Buffett – I’m sure he worked mad hard to accumulate all his wealth. Like Will Smith’s character in Pursuit of Happyness, adversity can face you smack dab boom upside your head, but its how you respond that will determine your ultimate destiny while revealing your true character. You achieve your goals not based on your fate, but moreso your desire and your aspiration. I still believe in fate though, its just that we have a bigger role in it. Don’t wait for your dreams to come true, you just gotta be bout it bout it. Follow them. If you change nothing, nothing will change. Like the homie Jimmy V says, “don’t ever give up.” Just be sure to enjoy the ride on the journey.
.